Thermally Modified Wood Equipment
Thermally modified woods are the woods that have been through heat processing in the temperature range from 160 degrees to 230 degrees, commonly 180 degrees to 212 degrees. Heating processing is used to improve the quality of wood, lower the hygroscopicity of wood, and improve the dimensional stability, corrosion resistance and weather fastness, so as to achieve a kind of environmental friendly wood products with superior performance and beautiful color.
- Thermal Modification Kiln As an experienced wood drying equipment manufacturer, Forwood offers superior quality thermal modification equipment to produce thermally modified wood with beautiful brown color by using steam and high temperature.
The body of our all aluminum alloy wood drying kiln is consisted of inside wall and exterior wall aluminum plates, heat insulating layer, upright post and girder grillage. The plates of inside wall and exterior wall adopt 1.2 mm 3003 type high corrosion resistance aluminum alloy plate. The heat insulating material adopts centrifugal glass wool board. The upright post and girder grillage adopt special-shaped aluminum alloy sections. This wood drying kiln is especially suitable for cold regions such as Russia. The thickness of the kiln roof is up to 150mm and can support 300-400kg/ m2 snow load. The wall thickness of the kiln is 150mm and can work normally in the temperature range from 30 degrees below zero to 50 degrees below zero.
Features of Thermally Modified Wood
- Environmental protection and safety
The carbonization heat processing is kind of pure physical technology without adding any chemical agent. Thermally modified wood is environmentally friendly. Besides, heat treatment can modify the quality of fast grown plantation woods and make these woods to replace some high quality natural wood. In this way, thermally modified woods are good for natural forest protection and environmental protection.
- The moisture resistance is strengthened.
After wood is through carbonization treatment, the hemicellulose with strong hygroscopicity is degraded. In this way, the hygroscopicity of wood is reduced. Under the same air conditions, the water ratio of thermally modified woods is much lower than common woods. The water ratio of indoor used thermally modified woods is 7~8% lower in southern rainy season and is 3~5% lower in north.
- The dimensional stability is improved, which ensures thermally modified woods are difficult to be deformed.
The carbonization treatment, the hygroscopicity and internal stress of wood are reduced remarkably. This effectively reduces the swelling, air shrinkage and buckling deformation of wood during use resulted from the changes of moisture content.
- The corrosion resistance and weather fastness is improved greatly.
The carbonization treatment changes the chemical composition of wood and produces acetic acid, a kind of substance that wood decaying fungus dislikes. In this way, the food chain of wood decaying fungus is cut off and the growth of wood decaying fungus is effectively inhibited, which improves the corrosion resistance and weather fastness of wood.
- The color of thermally modified woods is beautiful and durable, being coherent in inside and outside, and can imitate the color of famous and precious tree species.
- The extractive of thermally modified wood, such as resin, is volatilized, which is good for surface decoration and veneering.
- The mechanical property of wood is changed. The parallel-to-grain compressive strength, elasticity modulus of bending strength, and the hardness of wood are improved. The bending strength, impact toughness and shear strength are lowered.
- Thermally modified woods are easy to store. Since the hygroscopicity is reduced remarkably, the storage of thermally modified wood needs not to control the temperature and humidity.
Wood Thermally Modified Mechanism
A thermally modified wood equipment is the special equipment for high-heat treatment or manufacturing thermally modified wood. This equipment features low power consumption, simple operation, easy installation, debugging and maintenance, and long lifetime. In general, thermally modified wood equipment can be divided into thermally modified wood kilns and thermally modified tanks. The thermally modified woods produced by thermally modified wood equipment can be used for outdoor decoration, horticultural wood products, outdoor flooring and other uses.
The thermally modified wood equipment is newly developed product by our company with high reliability.
Technical Requirements of Thermally Modified Wood Equipment
- The thermal power of thermally modified wood equipment is required to be high.
a. High heat medium temperature
The heat medium can adopt heat conducting oil.
b. Large flow of heat conducting oil
Wide pipelines can be adopted.
c. Large heat dissipation area of the radiator
The radiator can adopt the multiple-unit finned type radiator.
- The air velocity that flows past the stack of wood should be high, which is favorable to heat transmission and even carbonization.
- The housing of thermally modified wood equipment and itself are required to feature heat preservation, airtight seal and corrosion resistance.
a. The housing should be sealed and have good heat preservation.
b. The interior equipment of the thermally modified wood kiln or tank is required to adopt stainless steel with good thermal endurance, and strong resistance to humidity, acid and corrosion.
- The thermally modified wood kiln or tank should be full of water vapor or inactive gas to protect woods from firing and improve the strength of woods.
The technological process includes five steps and they are first drying, secondary drying, temperature rise and carbonization, temperature reduction and humidifying, cooling and out of kiln.
1) First drying
2) Secondary drying
3) Temperature rise and carbonization
4) Temperature reduction and humidifying
5) Cooling and out of kiln (Tank)
Forwood Wood Drying Equipment Company is an ISO9001: 2000 and ISO14001: 2004 certified manufacturer of thermally modified wood equipment in China. The main components of our wood drying equipment are imported with original packaging and all raw materials have passed strict quality inspection. This ensures the high performance of our wood drying equipment. If you are interested in our thermally modified wood equipment, we welcome you to contact us. We are here to answer your wood dry equipment needs.